Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Treadmill how I have missed you/Mio Link all I saw was red flashing lol

A little background about me and running. I USE TO HATE IT!! It probably comes from having to get up at 4:30 Monday,  Wednesday and Friday morning at The Citadel when I was a freshman. Mandatory knob PT was the worst. So you associate punishment to running very quickly. So a huge major part of Triathlon is running go figure lol. So what did I do to change my mentality?
Honestly I just said to myself this is part of what I have to do so suck it up and do it! And the strangest thing happened, it worked. After about a month of running I got hit with the wonderful Plantar Fasciitis and took 2 weeks off but added additional 5 miles to my bike rides to try and keep up whatever endurance I gained with my running. I was absolutely shocked what the mind can do. I missed running so much. I would walk into the gym and walk passed all the treadmills and would actually be a little sad cause I wasn't going to be able to run. Don't get me wrong I love being on the bike. I think that comes from years of watching The Tour De France both on TV and twice in person. But for me to actually be sad that I couldn't run was just against every fiber of my body. So when yesterday 2 weeks had past and I felt like my left foot had recovered from the plantar, I was smiling ear to ear when I got off the bike. I did my ab workout as soon as I got off the bike and went to the treadmill.
Old treadmill how I have missed you so much!  I felt so good to start that up and watching my bright green shoes going in a little blur lol. Heart pounding, breathing hard and sweat pouring down lol. When I got done left foot was great, absolutely no pain what so ever. Now while I was letting the foot heal, I did purchase a set of insoles for plantar fasciitis which I have been using everyday in every shoe I wear. Plus when I got done and got home I went right away and grab a jar of frozen strawberry jam in a glass round jar and rolled in under my foot for 15 minutes.  Before you ask the jar of jam was so old it wasn't good lol. Feet feel great today and I am so looking forward to Wednesdays workout especially the run. When I realized so much I missed running I realized at that moment,  I AM A RUNNER!!
Now on to the red light flashing at me the whole run lol. Like I have said before, you use the Mio GO app to set your training zones for what you are doing. And on the bike for me that is 117 to 135 for an aerobic zone workout. Which is used to build endurance.  MIO Link set and off we go. I will say that that was the first time that I kept my ride in that zone the whole time. It felt so good to look on my wrist and see the little light flashing green. You can check it out of the corner of your eye and see how you are doing.  Which I am only a month and half into my triathlon training, I am not trying to break any kind of records just building up a base. The stationary bike that I am using to get my seat time and miles on is more than your usual stationary bike. It has multiple adjustments so I have the bike configured for me. But the main thing that is very beneficial is that you can't coast cause it is actually a spin class bike. So for like my long ride when it is 70 minutes plus 5 miles when I couldn't run, it was an hour and 41 minutes of non stop pedaling. I won't know how that breaks down on a road bike when you can coast as rest.
Anyway back on to the flashing light lol. So I got done with the bike and went to the treadmill.  Using my MAF training zones, I figured my aerobic zone to be 135 to 125 to be safe. I changed my training zone on my MIO Link and since I was just coming back from my plantar problem I wanted to go slow. So I set it for almost 2 minute pace slower than what I was running before I got hurt. 15 steps into the run. BRIGHT RED FLASHING LIGHT LOL. Okay I have exceeded my zone and have to back it down. So I started slowing the pace down to get in my zone. Now the best thing to do when you go to the gym is CHECK YOUR EGO at the door. However that is so hard to do. I already couldn't wait to get back to running but in order to get into my zone I had to walk. I just couldn't do it for my first day back. So I realized that I needed to get more information regarding MAF training which I have started doing more research by joining the MAF training group on Google+ thanks to Fred Lechuga which I follow on Google+. So what I did was try to keep my heart rate as close to the top of the zone as possible. Which was still 20 beats per minute more than it should be. So I am hoping to have more information by my next run on Wednesday.  But I can not say enough how good it felt to run again.

Again thank you so much for taking valuable time out of your day and reading this blog. Please like or share or re tweet if you like it. Till tomorrow with iRacing and COD: Ghost grind.

No comments:

Post a Comment