Monday, July 7, 2014

Saturday's Workout: I could have run all day with my MIO Link flashing Green!/MAF Training

If you have been following along for the past month, my last workout of the week is my long ride. So this workout was a 5 minute warm-up with an 85 minute ride. Now this whole past week I have been pushing around 90 rpm the whole ride instead of the normal 80 rpm. So I not only increased the time in the saddle but also the cadence as well. Which has been an interesting push of the legs. On this ride I made sure to hold 90 to 95 rpm for at least half of this workout just because it was going to be a long ride and a seat time building workout (hope that makes sense LOL). It was a very good ride. Legs felt great the whole time. Got what I call micro cramps at the last 5 minutes which is later than normal so I can tell me legs are getting stronger and having more endurance. Also the numb and pressure pain in the buttocks region lol didn't come on till about 10 minutes left of the ride. So the last minutes of my ride are the push through the pain part of every ride. I have pushed through and overcame the pain by adjusting my seating and mentally pushing through the pain. It is the little victories that keep me going and feeling accomplished on top of the time in the seat and distance in that time. One definite way that I know I am increasing my endurance and stamina, is the MIO Link stayed blue to light green the whole ride. Which means I have more intensity at a lower heart rate which is progress.

Now on to the run. I have been doing since I got my MIO Link, MAF training. If you haven't read my previous post, MAF training is using your heart rate as a way to make sure you stay in your Aerobic Zone (or Green Zone) to train your body to use your stored fat as energy and it is also the best way to train with the least chance of injury. So even though my rides have been increasing and I feel like I am making huge progress, on the run I feel like it is my weakness right now. Now I do know that I am following all the "rules" for increasing distance and also using MAF training, that it will be a slower progress than just going all out. So I have been not increasing the distance more than 10% a week and making sure to stay in the Green Zone (or maybe a little above for a short time LOL) it is a check the ego at the door way of training. So during the run (I still call it a run even though it is a run/walk right now), I got to get up to running speed three times during the run, but here was the best part. After my 90 minute total ride, my legs felt amazing and once I hit the distance I have limited myself to to stay within the 10% rule, I could have doubled that distance it felt like. And the thing is I don't know why or can't pinpoint something that I did different to make them feel like that except I did this workout on a Saturday at 10 am rather than my usual Friday at 6:30 pm. So could it be my legs were more fresh rather than tired from a day of work?

Well there will be a couple more posts coming today. Had a very active weekend of interest for the blog. Stay tuned for more. And as always Thank you for taking the time out of your day and reading this blog. I really appreciate it beyond words.

No comments:

Post a Comment