Tuesday, July 1, 2014

iRacing Lionheart Series: Finally a win/ Honoring Dan Wheldon

If you have been keeping up with my previous post, you know that the DW12 has come out for iRacing. They released it just before the real Indy 500 for their iRacing Indy 500 that was cancelled and rescheduled for July 17th and 18th. So when Jon Carrigan and I saw the DW12, we knew that was what we were going to race next season. They would have official setups for both oval and road. So I thought to myself, it would be great to get extra seat time in it in a league. That is where I came across the iRacing Lionheart Series. So not only were they running the DW12 for 16 weeks with 12 oval and 4 road, but they were also honoring the man who helped develop this car for the safety of his fellow drivers who tragically lost his life doing what he loved in October 2011. That right there was all it took for me to join up.

From what his best friends in the racing community have said and of course from his sister Holly and wife Susie Wheldon, Dan was a great father, husband, friend and of course driver. His lost is still felt in the Indy community to this day. And if you look at it, if it wasn't for Dan's work on the DW12 (which stands for Dan Wheldon), Dario Franchitti's accident last year at Houston could have been a lot worst. Over the past 2 years, every accident that someone has been in and walked away from in the DW12 is cause of Dan's work on the car and what I like to think him watching over the ones he loved, his racer friends. So Dan, thank you for your work and dedication to keeping your buds safe! Keep watching over Sebastian as he is racing and following in your footsteps. I know that Susie, Holly and the whole Wheldon family are very proud of both Sebastian and Oliver. Look for a link on our Facebook website very soon to The Dan Wheldon Family Trust Fund. https://www.facebook.com/lionheartseries Also wanted to include Dennis Nicoll's car that he will be running in tribute to Dan Wheldon.

Okay now back to my first WIN! I jumped into the practice session with about 9 minutes to go. I didn't go in with any expectations what so ever. I was just hoping to be able to finish this race with no accident at all LOL. Practice was over and Qualifying go started. I did something that I heard from John Downing, which he said he ran 3 laps on the high side then the last lap down low. I did it different though, I ran 2 laps up high and 2 down low. After my 3rd lap, I was sitting on the pole. I had my eye glued to the Standings black box and I held pole until turn 1 on lap 4 LOL. Jorge Anzaldo was ahead of me by .03 of a second. By the time it registered I was already on the back straightway +.3 off my already pole time, so I knew I would not have the pole but hoped I could hold second. Which I did!! Every race so far I have been qualifying in the top 5 or 6 to the best of my memory. Sitting outside lane on the grid, I started thinking how to handle this. I am a very forgiving and cautious driver, I just thought I need to get behind Jorge as soon as I could so that I would not give up 2nd. Waiting for the pace laps, Jorge just disappeared. I late hear him say he lost power and got disconnected. So the 3rd place driver pulled up and took over 1st place. Sticking to the same strategy with what I was going to do with Jorge, I go behind him and just held there till I could make a move on him. After a couple of laps the spot opened up and I was in first. I held first for about 14 laps, hugging the bottom line like an AirTitan LOL They were starting to shuffle around behind me and another racers replaced second right behind me. As soon as he got behind me I thought to myself, he is very close.....didn't even get the thought out of my head when I see my nose angle to the left and toward the back straightway inside wall I was heading. Car Contact 4/17. I remembered what I had read a while ago. You will steer where your eyes look. So I started looking at the grass at turn 3 at 200 mph. I barely touched the inside wall at around 190 and the next thing I knew my steering wheel was at 45 degrees to go straight. Time to think now and test out the car. Can I keep the car straight on the track and take turns, YES but cautiously. Okay am I still on the lead lap? Yes but for how long. So driving with the wheel at 45 degrees I wanted to stay on the lead lap hoping for a caution. I stayed out like this for I don't know how many laps. I heard someone say "it is nerve wrecking at 230" I looked down and saw I was doing no more than 220. Then in the relative box I saw the red names of the leaders creeping down on me. 30 secs down to 12 seconds, I thought to myself I am going to have to pit under green and go a lap down. Maybe if I do it on this lap, I can get the lap back when the leaders pit. "Caution is out"!!! I have never been so excited to see a yellow flag in my life LOL. Into the pits, I knew according to Dashmeter Pro I needed 7 gallons to finish. In the pits, 7 gallons, no tires and the reset and away I was in 10th. Now in previous races I have gotten into accident, been a couple of laps down and went from 12th to fighting with the leaders to get my lap back, so I knew it could be done. Head down, green flag and it was go time. 10th to 7th in 2 laps. Got behind a driver who didn't like being on the bottom at all, so as soon as he had a chance he jumped up to the top line and that put me in 5th. I knew that you could pick up the draft of the car in front a good distance away (not saying how far out cause it is an ancient Chinese secret LOL. So my eyes where glued on the 2 inside red lights on the rpm. As soon as they flashed red, I was into 6th. Slowly I was running down 4th when another caution came out. This was great going to have 10 laps to go at the green. Plenty of fuel. Left front tire had some good wear on it but I knew that it could last only 10 laps. Green flag waves in the air 10 lap shootout begins. Oh leader at the time had to go cause of stuff he had to do, so I went from 5th to 4th before the green flag. So 4th to 3rd, 3rd to 2nd. Just hugging that bottom line waiting for any kind of bobble. Tried to make a couple of passes coming out of 4 and 2. But it is so hard to pass on the outside, then the planets aligned and as I was making another try coming out of turn 2, the leader made a slight mistake. So I am in the middle of a three wide and make it stick to take the lead. 3 laps to go and sweetest words I have heard all day. 'CAUTION IS OUT!! Not the way anyone wants to finish but I will take it! I knew with my qualifying times that I have had I have a car that can finish in the top 3 at least but this just gives me more confidence for Wednesday's series opener.

Can't say enough about how much fun this has been just getting ready for Wednesday's opener. The quality of racers that were in the league member only first race was outstanding which I had hoped it would be. After about 15 laps people were already talking if the race could go green the whole way. Such a night and day between open practice servers and league only server. I can't wait to get started with the season and racing with such a great group of guys. Again thank you to the Admin who are working their butts off getting this ready.

Come and check us out live on Zach Trull's Twitch channel www.twitch.tv/zachttrull23 tomorrow to see live streaming and commentary of the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment