Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Does Compression Sleeves work? That is the question.

I have been seeing many of the professionals wear them during races, I have wondered if they actually work. I use to run cross country in high school and I did a lot of running at The Citadel, the Military College of South Carolina. So I have always had bad shin splints while running. So after doing some Googleing, I came across many people saying that they have helped them but there isn't real scientific information about it. And in my research I came across the company SLS3 (http://www.slstri.com). I got a pair of FXC Compression Sleeves in Lime Green to match my Lime Green New Balance Shoes. When I got them in the mail and opened them up I thought to myself "Man those are too small to fit on my shins" LOL.

Once I put them on, I realized why they were so small. They stretched out to fit my whole shin and were very snug. I had only been triathlon training for about a month so, being sore and having shin splints were a very common issue I was having the day after my workout. So I thought this will be a good chance to see if these work. So when I got these in the mail, it was also my long ride and run of the week. Perfect opportunity to test these out. I really really pushed hard that workout to make sure to test them out. After an hour and half ride then a 30 minute run, I was done for the day. I do have to say it was one of my most enjoyable runs that I have had in a long time. It was until about 25 minutes into the run that I realized.....NO SHIN SPLINTS!!! I almost tripped on the treadmill when I realized that. But I didn't get to excited cause it was just one workout so we will have to see.

The next day I woke up and was prepared that as soon as I put my feet on the ground that I would feel the great feeling of sore calves and quads from the workout. I put my feet on the ground and nothing at all. Got up and walked around and could not believe it, not one bit of soreness at all. Plus my legs felt like they did get a workout the day before but they felt like I could go again for another round that day.

That has been a month ago. The workouts have gotten only harder and harder, longer and longer! And absolutely not another case of shin splints, which I could scream from the top of a mountain about. Plus the recovery time is so quick now, I now realize when I watch the pros wear them I understand why!! One thing that I am going to want to try is a Compression Sock, due to my Plantars Fasciitis. So the question that people ask......Do Compression Sleeves work???? In my opinion, YES!! I WON'T TRAIN OR RACE WITHOUT THEM!

No comments:

Post a Comment